Monday, December 20, 2010

What a Day to be in the Woods

What a Day to be in the Woods.. at 3 PM on the south side it was nearly 80 F.. mid December! I drove on the grassy service road down to the blower building and then carried a short machete and saw to clear the 100 foot section of trail along the south border fence from G0 post east to H0. Lots of Smilax greenbrier and Symphoricarpos coralberry entangled with dead fallen juniper. I cleared a meter wide path there.
Then I drove out to the Chautauqua entrance by Rudy's. Despite the dryness of the Woods, the toe slope West Pond there is full. There were small fish, likely Gambusia, busily feeding at the surface. Eastward to the Ravine trail I encountered three dogs, a black lab and two German shepherds who growled and barked at me and then ran off east along the trail. I have seen this same group of dogs in there before. Down in the mostly dry West Wash flocks of robins were gathering. A dozen stood by the edge of bathtub-sized pool above Island Crossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment