Friday, December 30, 2011

A new place and new trees

Scores of visits to the Woods and I had never seen this place before.. From the top of the Dune Trail, the way west along the crest of the Dune is fiercely guarded by dense curtains of briars. Today I ventured past the curtain, moving very slowly, disentangling each length of brier before it could rip clothing, shin, ankle, arm, neck. West along the crest there is an open area, an active wildlife highway, well used deer beds and unusual large trees, not common elsewhere in the Woods. I measured/ recorded several large Bumelia or Sideroxylon there. In the past week I've added 45 new large trees. The Dune crest and the swale to the south and west is a well protected, all but inaccessible sanctuary, where wildlife can rest undisturbed by passing biologists .. and new discoveries can remain hidden from most explorers. I must return and explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment