Sunday, January 8, 2012

Another Dog

Out in the Woods at 3 p.m. today. (I met Joe at the SW Gate and discussed drainage and water in the Woods.)
Later I surprised a sleeping new dog at the top of the ravine trail. It came running at me, barking; and then ran and disappeared into the brush when I ran towards it. It was black with tan face markings; size of a lab, face like a mastiff. I saw no collar. With the demise of the old mangy dog, this new dog is not a welcome addition.
I saw no deer or other four-footed wildlife. Lots of robins foraging in the leaves with the coming chance of rain.
Found new Carpenter (?) post ~ > 200 ft. w. of the new post found yesterday. It looks like the sewer line excavation work 40 years ago probably displaced or eliminated many of the posts.

The ponds are holding up OK. West Pond was 1.98 feet and the East Pond was 2.06 feet. No rain for quite a while.
The Woods are very open now with all the leaves down. It is the best time for exploring.
The low green leaves of Geum are evident and the green of a henbit-like plant..maybe Glechoma gill, Creeping Charlie.

Cool, mid 50's F, overcast, dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment