Saturday, May 5, 2012

Turtles, Ticks and a Flutter of Butterflies

Out to the Woods this Saturday morning at 9, through the NE Gate. Determined to walk and check some of the trails I seldom get to (North Rim and Southeast Trails). I walked the east leg of the Tree Loop. It is quite grown up in understory grasses and shrubs. I thought I should get a mower/ trimmer, clear the path again.. but then I found a 3 toed box turtle almost hidden in the luxurious vegetation and thought.. few folks here in the summer.. I will not be in the Woods often because of ticks.. may be best to let summer be the time for natural growth to regain and restore the natural cover.. let turtles and rabbits not encounter humans on cleared paths.
If I clear down trees across the trail and cut back briars and poison ivy, it may be best to let the Woods be as they are until autumn. I picked a few dozen mid sized ticks off my legs after walking through grassy sections of the trail.

It has been quite hot (mid 90's for several days now, April/ early May is too early for that). The Woods have grown very well.. thick green canopy and little visibility through the trees. Still the same dead 7 numbered trees on the Loop. I will replace with new selections.

I hopped across Island Crossing (water at pool there, was muddy like it was being stirred) - no water flowing. Water in wash had retreated at Elm Bridge to about 10 feet upstream.. no flow.

I walked the North Rim.. very overgrown.. but trail still easy to follow.. no barriers, vines, or blockages. At the west end the West Pond was at 2.20 ft. depth.. no turtles or other big animal life visible in the pond. The new West Trail still in good shape.. although wet/ muddy and could use those stepping stones. I shifted the south 70-100 m of the West Trail to connect to the Main SW trail at 150 m post... blue flags on the stretch of route moved. I'll keep it temporary for now and see if it continues to feel like an improvement.

Along the Main SW trail by Dragonfly corner there were scores to hundreds of butterflies - Hackberry Emperors and a few Painted Ladies.. like a Disney movie, as I walked along, clouds took flight.. maybe the second greatest natural density of butterflies I've seen. It was warm, still and at 11 o'clock a good large sunny spot. On the east side of that, a couple of elms have the fading foliage of Ophiostoma elm disease. It will be interesting to see how it progresses and what other trees succumb. The persimmons have dropped their cream white flowers to the forest floor. The bright chartreuse carpets of ash seeds cover and color the forest floor - marvelous.

No deer seen last two trips and somewhat surprisingly, few cobwebs across the trail. Mosquitoes are not bad.

I walked east and crossed over the West Dune trail.. stopping to clear a few remaining Cnidoscolus bull nettle. I'd like to eliminate that one small patch of plants. I walked out of the Woods along the Service Rd. past the Ragweed Delta to the SE Trail and took it north, renewing the pink paint blazes there.

No comments:

Post a Comment