Sunday, June 23, 2013

Killing Exotics and Finding New Ones

Saturday I cut and applied roundup to stumps of two Albizia mimosa trees on the west side of the Wash approx 50 feet above and 50 feet below the E-W Trail. As I was doing this, I noticed a pine cone in the washout zone near the southern mimosa.. washed in, I am sure, from the OU campus.. red pine probably. It will be interesting if pines begin to grow in the Woods.
The Woods are fallow ground for expanding exotics in the south Norman area. They can be used as a sort of sentinel area to recognize incipient invasions of species which are actually (not just in theory)  invading, like Amur honeysuckle and mimosa. There will be more Amur honeysuckle to cut next year.
I walked the SE and South central trails and they were clear-ish. Along the SE trail we can just step around the base of the double-trunked elm tilted across the trail and see if it will survive.
I returned to the NE Gate via the eastern side of the Tree Loop and cut a largish redbud top, broken and hanging across the trail. Tree should survive and grow well.

No comments:

Post a Comment