Friday, December 27, 2013

Aftermath of the Ice

Transient warming in the Woods today, yesterday, tomorrow after the destructive ice storm and 3-4 cold days last week. All of the ice was gone today except in shaded nooks, so I took my saw at 9:30 and went to see what needed to be done.
 I walked the Tree Loop from the NE Gate, clearing small obstructions and some broken branches but nothing significant until I reached the southern end of the Loop.  A good-sized middle age sugarberry there had a large limb broken down on several other trees and the trail was impassable. Sugarberries in Olivers Woods have had the most breakage in this storm. I cut, hauled, pulled and eventually cleared the original path. I tried to cut as little as possible and pull broken limbs toward the base of the parent tree. By noon time I had finished the Tree Loop. If there is no more ice damage this winter, it will look good again by spring leaf-out.
After a noon break, I returned to walk the NW Ponds Trail at 1:30. The NW pond depth was 2.25 ft. (full). There was no sign of life there. The East Pond was inaccessible with a large fall on the north side of the pond. The West Trail was more clear than I had suspected it would be. There was one good sized mess just north of the junction with the the Main SW trail.
The worst ice breakage and trail blockage was on the north side of the East Pond. Large heavy oak, ash and elm branches had fallen along the trail. It was like a jig saw puzzle in reverse figuring out how to untangle, cut and remove it all. Happy to get it done.
Encountered just one group of four deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment