Sunday, November 15, 2015

Wet Evening in the Woods

Sunday evening a light rain began to fall as the light began to fade. Perfect time to go see the Woods at twilight. At 6 I entered the SW gate and walked the Main SW trail into the heart of the woods. As a hundred thousand Norman citizens hurried home to escape the light intermittent rain and consult the internet, I put on my favorite gray raincoat and went to see what the Woods' inhabitants were doing. Cool mid 50's and mid November but a few crickets were still singing. At Island Crossing the water was slowly beginning to flow with the runoff from the light rain so far. I saw no deer and wondered where they would take shelter on such a gently cool wet evening. On the trail at Tall Stump, there was a hawk's tail feather. Reminded me of watching two days earlier a red tailed or red shouldered hawk flying in circles fairly low over the forest continually harassed by a reckless gang of five daredevil crows. They did not hesitate to dive bomb and harass the hawk, all the while shouting their raucous calls.
The hawk did not seem happy, nor did it seem to be terribly disturbed. It was taking its time.. not fleeing precipitously.
I stopped and looked at the old Grandfather cottonwood. Its leaves are now 80% gone, and the Woods' leaves are 75-80% down. The Woods are opening up again. As darkness came on I enjoyed getting 'lost' or having to retrace my steps to find the right trail in the near dark. The few fresh blazes help when the light is almost gone.
I should walk every day and watch the life of the Woods for my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment