Saturday, April 30, 2016

Kingfisher and Rattlesnake Fern

Strong storm Friday evening brought heavy 1.1 inch rain to Norman. I packed my swing blade Saturday morning to trim some of the abundant trail side vegetation. Just in from the NE Gate, I was greeted by a box turtle on the trail by tree #14, out enjoying the damp morning. I ended up trimming all the Tree Loop and most of the northeast trails. The grasses, Symphoricarpos deerbrush, understory box elder and Elephantopus elephant's foot were really taking off. I think this was a good strategic time to trim. I hope the timing will keep the trails from becoming too overgrown.
I try to favor (not cut) the low Parthenocissus Virginia creeper. I also try to keep vegetation in place that looks like it may help prevent erosion. Luckily, this is not much of a problem in the Woods.
Clearing along the levee trail south of Island Crossing, I was delighted to spot a new fern species, Botrychium rattlesnake fern. I found this in August 2014, but had never been able to locate it again. There were three sporophytes widely spaced, 10 and 40 feet apart. I have never seen this anywhere else in the Woods. The only other fern I know there is Asplenium ebony spleenwort.
The water was quite high in the Wash.  (Could not cross Isld Crossing. Elm Bridge was OK). Standing by the ferns, I heard and saw a kingfisher zooming up along the Wash with its distinctive rattling call.
I watched a bumblebee foraging on some late Ligustrum privet blooms. Most of this bloom is finished, but there are still little patches of privet's sweet fragrance remaining in the Woods.
The East pond is filled as high as I've seen.. 2.6 ft in depth.
The Woods had a fine smell of wet soil, of humus and rapidly growing plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment