Saturday, May 7, 2016

Do Cottonwoods Annoy Spiders?


I wonder if orb weaver spiders have a more difficult time when cottonwoods are shedding their seed. The webs catch the cotton and either have to be cleaned up by the spider, or risk being too visible to their intended prey.
Along the Wash, I heard the rattling cry of the kingfisher again. The water churned down by the Elm Bridge from lots of something - tadpoles? I have not heard the leopard frogs in the Woods this spring, I have often heard in previous springs. 
Any hungry dragonflies can find a nice meal down in Oliver’s Woods today. The mosquitoes have returned in force. I entered the Woods by the NW Pond and picked up a cloud of arthropod friends who stayed with me for a half hour and finally convinced me to leave early. Ecologically thinking, the mosquitoes and ticks may be sort of champions and defenders of the Woods. The more of them, the less likely that humans will venture in there, or stay long.
Nice bee mimic robber fly perching on the down snag at the vibe bower. One box turtle was along the trail by the big watch tree southwest off the levee. Several red-eared sliders were basking on the floating logs in the NW pond. Along the E-W Trail more catalpa blossoms have fallen. Not very much in bloom in the Woods now; but the under story box elder and other perennials are growing fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment