Saturday, December 30, 2017

Winter Kill

Cold arctic air over the Central Plains with light north wind. I went to the Woods yesterday to see its quiet bare, winter face. I entered via the NW Pond - not frozen, although it was below 0 C. I think it may be frozen in a couple of days with the -14 C forecast for tomorrow. Just up slope from the pond I noticed an adult opossum lying on the leaves. It looked life-like as though just sleeping. I suspect it had been dead less than a day. First thought was distemper or some other disease, combined with the cold. There was a burrow just up slope 5 feet from it, may have been its home. Cold tough weather here will likely kill many animals over the next few days.
Up the N Ravine path, the trunk of a substantial sugarberry had broken and blocked the trail. I took the saw and cut through the large log, hoping it would not seize and bind the saw. Was lucky. Need to freshen trail paint blazes on this section. Should update data on Tree Loop and finish remaining numbered metal tags there.
I walked most of the trails and did not see the three dogs. Maybe Mark Bechtel, the new Norman Shelter manager, had some success in removing them. Saw one small ruby-crowned kinglet playing/ foraging in front of me (day before). Wonder how they survive, if they do, in the deeper cold. Need to roll up vinyl rolls and close and tidy-up old herp traps. The Woods are quiet now. Life has retreated underground, under bud scales, into deepest shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment