Sunday, March 4, 2018

Spring Peepers a Woodpecker and the first Turtle

Sunday I walked in to the Woods via the NW Pond, still well-filled. There on the far side, basking in the spring sunshine (and 60 F temp) was the first turtle of the year. Covered in mud, resting on a floating log. Could have been a red-eared slider, but it was kind of large and thick for that. Hope to see it again with binocs. I walked the Ravine Trail refreshing the red dots. On the east side at the big pecans south of break in the levee there was a surprising sight. A small beautiful woodpecker, black and white back, red head lay on the trail. Not sure why it had died, but it was beautiful. I
I stopped at the Main SW trail gate and dotted some yellow blazes as far as possible without getting feet wet in the receding but still pooled water along the trail.
Driving back north on Chautauqua, I heard the magic sound of spring peepers. Abundant in the western roadside ditch.

No comments:

Post a Comment