Monday, November 19, 2018

Cool Twilight

Went for a nice twilight walk at 5:30 from the NE Gate, quickly escaping down the path away from the highway traffic noise and into the sheltering quiet of the trees. Down across the Wash at Elm Bridge, I stopped to look south at the still yellow golden sky with darkness closing. The leaves have recently completely dropped and revealed once again the skeleton of the woods in silhouette. You can't see this during the day. Too much light and too much detail and distraction. But after sunset, with just the black silhouettes of the stems, branches and trunks against the yellow golden sky, you can see the structure of the trees. The way they interact, compete and grow. You could study this for a long time and learn a lot about trees.
Walking north along from the Two Pecan trail there was a barred owl calling. I stopped and gave a screech owl call. The barred owl paused a longer time, as if puzzled, then called again. I answered with the screech owl five or six times looking in the fading twilight out to the larger trees and then thought I saw, farther off, a large bird flying away north. I think my owl didn't know what to make of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment