Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Another Tuesday Morning on the Trail

This morning I returned to the Trans OWP trail project with loppers and weedwacker. I cut grass, vines, young tree twigs, and shrubs to push the trail further west. There had been a light rain in the Woods. Grasses and shrubs were a little wet. We had had no rain on the west side of Norman less than 1 mile northwest.

After two hours working on the trail I found only two ticks. I wonder if the ticks are abundant along established trails wildlife (deer) commonly traverse.

New green Smilax briar shoots regrowing from stubs I'd cut previously, are densely covered in fine thorns. Interesting ontogenetic switch.

No deer, turtles or rabbits sighted today. I found the beautiful clerid beetle, Enoclerus(2) out foraging on surprisingly small woody stems and an odd looking mantisfly on my way out of the Woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment