Monday, June 1, 2009

Turtles and Ticks.. Working on the Trans OWP Trail

This morning I took loppers and weedwacker to Olivers Wildlife Preserve to work on a trail cutting across the north Woods. I entered from the northeast and enjoyed the clear path down to the bur oak bridge across the creek (approx 175 meters or 575 ft south of the north boundary fence).

I noticed a small school of 3 minnow sized fish feeding in the pool under the bur oak bridge and I am hoping that is bad news for mosquitoes. I flagged a more or less direct route from the bur oak bridge to the East Pond end of the Ponds Trail. The East Pond is lovely, covered in floating tufts of white seeds from the cottonwoods. All the cotton seems to be down now. I didn't see any more drifting from the sky.

Along the way I encountered three 3-toed box turtles (2 mating..I don't remember seeing that before). There was also a fleeting glimpse of one or more white tail deer disappearing in the brush along the eastern escarpment above the bur oak bridge; and one cottontail rabbit scooting away in the brush. I also came upon the recent remains of a nice 50 cm snake.. mocha colored, without head. Flies were busily gorging themselves on anterior portion with nicely revealed skeleton while the posterior two thirds were largely intact. Some predator must have dispatched it, partially consumed it and left the rest there.

In addition to the trail I flagged today from the bridge to the Ponds, I plan to flag a trail from the bridge going southwest to connect to the Oliver North South Fenceline trail. This would connect to both the southern service road, midway along the southern border of the Woods.. and make a connection to the main Southwest trail leading to the South West Gate on Chautauqua.

Some portion of the understory vegetation is now producing prolific numbers of small round green "stick tight" seeds and my socks are a mess.

The ticks today were pretty amazing. I removed 16 from my clothing, feet and legs when I returned home. (And I suspect that total is not final.)

No comments:

Post a Comment