Saturday, August 8, 2009

Hot, humid and a south wind blowing

Hot afternoon 97 F, humid, under a bright sun with a south wind blowing. I wanted to see what life was like under the trees at the Woods. I entered from the southwest gate off Chautauqua. The first 100 yards the south wind was still noticeable but beyond that the shade and shelter of the bigger trees made all still and quiet and maybe 5 degrees cooler. The same species of light honey colored libellulid dragonfly perched again on the twig I held to clear spider webs.The cicadas were singing. There were a few more mosquitoes but not bad. Fresh patches of green ash seeds were on the ground. No deer observed. Couple of hackberry butterflies and a large beautiful Catocala moth with red and black underwings. Nice red sporulating slime mold and assortments of fungal sheets.. yellow, red, white.. spore producing reproductive tissue or just fungal tissue?

At the eastern end of the trail north of the dunes there were fresh sand eddies.. fine yellow sand had accumulated in the lee of small branches down on the ground. First time I've observed this. The line of sand deposits had a SE - NW orientation perpendicular to the prevailing southwest wind.

I stopped north of the big cottonwood near the orange post to cut a large poison ivy vine off a mature green ash tree. I started observing the leaves of the poison ivy and other low tree leaves and the degree to which they had been fed upon by herbivores.

I think I am ready now to mark some trails with paint blazes. First I'll finalize the southwest gate trail and mark trees along the route with masking tape for blazes. Blue paint. Double blazes for trail junctions or abrupt turns.
Along the southwest trail I may now be able to blaze the yellow flagged trail heading northeast out of the flood area past the big decaying pecan snag to the honeysuckle part of the Woods. (Can we map the spread of the honeysuckle with remote sensing?)

No comments:

Post a Comment