Saturday, May 7, 2011

More Measuring and Mapping

I returned to the Woods (NE Gate) at noon with tape measure and notebook. It was sunny and 80 F. I began adding natural history observations and some tree species at measured distances along the Escarpment Trail. I covered the first 300 ft with more detail. I will try to update this file each time I go to the Woods and can locate features along one of the measured trails. This project could take a long time.. and never be finished.. always more observations to add. I hope this can serve as the data for a Tree Tutorial Trail. The May 7 draft of the file is loaded on the Oliver's Woods web page under the Maps link as Olivers Woods Post-Mapping Project.xlsx

Along the trail in bright sun spots I saw up to a dozen brilliant green tiger beetles Cicindela sexgutata? - individually or in pairs. I saw no deer or dogs or turtles today.

Today at Elm Bridge the Wash was not flowing.. a pool extended to within about 20 feet of the bridge - upstream.
Early cotton was floating down from the big cottonwoods east of the Elm Bridge and collecting in the eastern dry wash below the Elm Bridge. Not what Robert Frost had in mind but it seemed to fit the moment and the place.
"Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow."

No comments:

Post a Comment