Friday, May 27, 2011

Skunk, Measuring SE Wash

At 4:30 today I entered the Woods at the NE Gate on a warm (90F) humid day. Hiked to the Elm Bridge. Half inch of rain three days earlier on the 24th had brought a quick flood to the Wash. The flood cut west from below Elm Bridge flowing out of banks parallel and south of the E-W Fence Line. With warmth and wind, all (almost)of the standing water in the Woods was gone. The Wash today was still full but barely moving past the Elm Bridge.
I measured the SE Wash Trail from the South Service Road north 200 m to jct with E-W Fence Line Trail. Lot of tracks of coons (?) and deer. Mosquitoes were mild (4-5) with mild DEET. There will be more soon. There were numerous brilliant green Cicindela sexguttata(?) along the damp trail.. probably starting burrows for young in soft soil as puddles dry. At Post One (50 m N of Service Road) I had a lengthy encounter with a small young striped skunk. I surprised it digging in damp rotting leaves. Up went the tail.. and it stayed up. The skunk was 15-20 feet from me.. I was probably within its range. After a few minutes of unmoving stand-off, the skunk began energetically and threateningly to back away. Facing me, tail up it made short backwards shuffle jumps with front feet noisily dragging leaves in a threat display combined with an escape. It backed up against some small down branches blocking it and then after a moment came forward in what looked like a short bluff charge (to within a dozen feet.) I stood and spread my arms wide and growled and the skunk stopped, then began its backwards shuffle jumps again. Two or three more charges and retreats and after maybe ten minutes I moved on down the trail leaving the bold creature in peace.
Returning home I immediately changed and showered leaving my field clothes outside on the hot deck. I removed eleven ticks.. 5 tiny seed ticks and 6 larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment