Monday, March 30, 2015

Violets and Morels

Out to the Woods this afternoon through the SW Gate. First visit since the March tornado in Moore, I wanted to see if there was much blow down from the strong winds. I brought my saw. One good sized elm near butterfly corner had fallen north across the trail and another elm SE of the grandfather cottonwood had also fallen north across the trail.
It has been warm and sunny with good soil moisture. In the Woods, purple violets are in bloom along with the Lamium purpureum henbit. Stellaria, grasses and sedge are also growing and greening much of the floor of the Woods. One early leaf-out shrub is the invasive Lonicera mackii Amur honeysuckle. I found stems on the W. Dune trail and by the old populations. Other invasives: two more meter-high stems on SE end of Ravine trail look to both be Ailanthus Tree-of-heaven. I'll wait for leaves to be sure.
The East Pond water depth was 1.32 feet and the west pond was 1.48. The west pond is covered with a heavy scum of greenish pollen. North of the East Pond there was one single morel a pale light mocha colored cap. On the west trail 20 feet north of WT #4 post there were three  more big morels with a bright cinnamon red colored cap. I initially thought 'false morel'.
Mexican plum flowers are almost gone now, Bradford pear leaves are almost fully out, no flowers remain there.
As I was passing by the southern most young pig carcass used in the current forensic study two vultures came to roost in the tall trees to the west. They waited for me to leave. I wondered if they were attracted and comforted by the smell of the carrion.
Leaving the Woods there was a lovely soft spring sunset, reminded me of happy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment