Monday, October 7, 2019

Bittersweet attack

Monday morning quick follow up to my Sept 18 attack, three weeks hence, on patch of invasive oriental bittersweet in the Woods.  I walked from the NW entrance past the two ponds.. both still with reasonable water levels for autumn. Its been dry. Several robins on the south side of the NW Pond.
There are now two different blockages of trail that will require chain saw to open, one by invasive Nandina corner, one by big cottonwood in Big Tree Grove (also NE corner by west end of Pipeline).
Fair number of spider webs but no spiders observed on webs. Flowers have almost all gone to seed except white Verbesina virginica Frostweed.
Small group of four white-tail deer moving south from Big Tree Grove; maybe two yearlings. Soon there will be more deer in the Woods, when hunting season begins.
The bittersweet patch has lost most of its big vines climbing up to the canopy and I was glad to see the area nearest the trail seemed to now be clear of them where I had cut and treated. But back in the thicker thicket under branches of leaning dead juniper there were many small resprouts I had cut, but not treated earlier in the year. Today I cut and treated for another hour. Hope in a few weeks it will be mostly gone, although I know some will remain. Eradication takes persistence.

No comments:

Post a Comment