Monday, October 28, 2019

Clearing blocked trails before the rain

I returned to the Woods late in the afternoon. Under gray cold skies, I walked to the big pecan watch tree, on the Levee Trail, and cut and cleared a heavy trunk and dead branches fallen across the trail. I noticed that some of the English ivy is beginning to return near the big cottonwoods. I need to continue to eradicate. On the northeast side of Island Crossing there are still Helianthus sunflowers with a few bright yellow petals brightening the dark green under story. Almost all the other flowers are gone for the season.
I circled back to the SW entrance and drove into the city transfer station. After help from James, I walked in via the small waterway draining the Woods and began clearing the broken canopy of a large green ash that was blocking the South Boundary trail.
I finished carving a tunnel in the branches and walked east along the south border to the southern end of the North South trail where the slow collapse of a large dead elm was partly blocking the flow from the Woods. With significant rain forecast for Tuesday I dragged away some of the larger branches and woody debris. I will revisit the Woods trail when the weather clears.
As I was leaving, heading up Chautauqua I found Sawyer injecting TGR into large elms along the west fence line. Working as a contractor for OGE he showed me the three trees he had treated. He thought that as they grew, they might threaten the lines. He mentioned he also planned to clear and treat more trees along the south border. I asked him to walk the line with me and show me what he planned. Recent previous clearing along the south border and the north border has not shown any awareness that the Woods was a special protected reserve with various research projects underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment